Report a Gas Leak and Other Emergencies
Call 1-800-841-4141 if you have a Natural Gas Emergency.
Report the odor immediately to us at 1-800-841-4141 or to your natural gas supplier.
If the odor is strong, leave the house immediately. Call PECO or your natural gas supplier from a neighbor's telephone. Do not use your own telephone.
When you call, tell us where you are so you can let us into your house when we arrive. Our emergency personnel are available 24 hours a day, every day.
A faint odor of natural gas indoors may mean a pilot is out on a gas appliance. Check it. You can correct this situation easily and safely. If you're not sure what to do, call PECO or your repair service.
Never use matches to look for gas leaks and never try to look for the leak yourself. Don't flip a switch, since they can create sparks, and don't use any other electrical equipment.
If you smell natural gas or see downed power lines, leave the area immediately. Then call PECO at 1-800-841-4141, this number is available 24 /7.
In the event of a potential gas leak:
Do not touch any phones, switches, thermostats or appliances. All devices, including battery operated equipment, can cause sparks.
Do not start or turn off any motorized equipment. Abandon any motorized equipment you may be operating.
Do not attempt to find the source of the leak or to repair a leak.
Remember, if you smell gas, leave your home first, THEN call 1-800-841-4141.
Although there may be no problem in your house, you should be alert to the causes and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning are malfunctioning heater vents or clogged chimneys. They should be checked occasionally to make sure they are free from obstructions.
Your heater also releases water vapor that must get out through a vent or chimney. Otherwise, moisture in the chimney can cause gradual erosion of the chimney.
If you have concerns, get expert advice from your heating service company, or call PECO at 1-800-494-4000.
A buildup of carbon monoxide (CO) from incomplete combustion of fuels, such as natural gas, and inadequate ventilation can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Signs of buildup of this colorless, odorless gas include:
Stuffy, stale or smelly air
Soot from fireplaces or furnaces
Exposure to carbon monoxide gas can cause headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, and loss of muscle control. Prolonged exposure leads to unconsciousness, brain damage, or death. The best treatment for overexposure is fresh air and immediate medical help.
To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, gas and oil appliance manufacturers recommend a yearly safety check-up.
To prevent accidental CO poisoning, keep the following tips in mind:
Never operate a CO-producing engine or heating source in a confined area that lacks ventilation. Examples include leaving a vehicle running in a closed garage, operating a grill indoors, or leaving a cooking range on for warmth.
Have heating systems, gas hot water heaters, and chimneys checked annually by qualified technicians or contractors.
Install CO detectors (meeting UL standard #2034 requirements) above your home's furnace and outside bedrooms.
If you suspect a CO problem with your furnace or water heater, call a qualified heating contractor immediately.