Contact: Cathy Engel Menendez 215-841-5555
PHILADELPHIA (March 29, 2011) – In less than 3 months more than 250,000 PECO customers are purchasing their electricity from a competitive electric generation supplier as part of Pennsylvania Electric Choice. Forty-seven competitive suppliers are currently serving PECO customers, with 36 specifically serving residential customers. Currently nearly half of the electricity delivered by PECO is being purchased through a competitive supplier.
“It’s great that so many of our customers – of all sizes – are taking advantage of the competitive marketplace and purchasing the electricity they use from competitive suppliers,” said Denis O’Brien, president and CEO of PECO. “This is a win-win for our customers. Not only can they save money by shopping with a competitive supplier, they also can rest easy knowing that PECO will continue to safely deliver their electricity, provide billing and customer support, and respond to outages and other emergencies.”
With Pennsylvania electric choice, customers have the option to purchase the electricity they use from a competitive electric generation supplier. For customers not shopping with a competitive supplier, PECO will purchase electricity on their behalf and pass these charges along at exactly the price that we pay. And, as an energy delivery company, PECO then delivers electricity to all customers and also handles all billing, customer support and emergency response.
We are committed to helping every customer understand how they can shop for electricity and potentially save money by choosing the right energy supplier for their needs and circumstances.
- Use your PECO Price to Compare to evaluate offers from competitive electric generation suppliers.
- PECO’s average residential Price to Compare is 9.92 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh). Beginning April 1 PECO’s average residential price to compare will be 9.99 cents per kWh.
- Your individual Price to Compare is listed in the Message Center section on your monthly bill. You also can calculate your individual Price to Compare with PECO’s Price to Compare calculator at www.peco.com.
- PECO’s Price to Compare will change quarterly – either decreasing or increasing – as market prices change. We will continue to update our Price to Compare quarterly to help customers evaluate offers from competitive suppliers.
- To find competitive electric generation suppliers or learn more about shopping for electricity visit the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission’s website at www.papowerswitch.com.
Also, all customers also can take advantage of PECO Smart Ideas to save energy and money. With PECO Smart Ideas, we have useful energy-saving products and programs to help save money in every home and business. To find out how you can save energy and money visit www.peco.com/SmartIdeas.
To learn more visit www.pecoanswers.com.
Based in Philadelphia, PECO is an electric and natural gas utility subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC). PECO serves 1.6 million electric and 490,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Pennsylvania and employs about 2,400 people in the region. PECO delivered 87.9 billion cubic feet of natural gas and 39.5 billion kilowatt-hours-hours of electricity in 2010. Founded in 1881, PECO is one of the Greater Philadelphia Region's most active corporate citizens, providing leadership, volunteer and financial support to numerous arts and culture, education, environmental, economic development and community programs and organizations.
If you are a member of the media and would like to receive PECO news releases via e-mail please send your e-mail address to PECO.Communication@exeloncorp.com